Locally owned & operated in Kennicott, Alaska, a National Historic Landmark within Wrangell St. Elias National Park. The largest National Park in North America & richest copper deposit ever mined (1.183 Billion lbs). The mining stopped in 1938. Due to it's rich history & abundance of mountains & glaciers, Kennicott is now a very popular tourist destination.
All of the food that we serve is made from scratch. All original recipes with local flare & ingredients. Simple flavorful food done well. We are extremely passionate about our work & the food that we provide to our guests. We cater to all dietary restrictions and have delicious Gluten Free & Vegetarian options on our Menu. With one bite you will come to know & understand why people from around the world love our food.
*Rustic cooking* is unrefined and simple, but also warm and inviting. It is typically based on old-fashioned preparation techniques, ingredient availability and a unique set of cultural influences.
The Meatza Wagon is a small, fun & family friendly locally owned business. Not owned by a local serving food, but by a Chef who also happens to be local. We are light hearted individuals looking to please you with our food. Come & enjoy our covered seating area overlooking the Kennicott Glacier & Mt. Blackburn. The Meatza Wagon wants to see you smile, enjoy yourself & leave here HAPPY!!!
Organic grass fed beef, marinara, melted provolone & parmesan cheese, toasted golden on a baguette w/ side salad or kettle chips
Prosciutto, slow cooked pork, bacon, smoked gouda, candied jalapeno mustard, house made pickles, served hot on a buttery hoagie w/ side salad or kettle chips
Alaskan Rock Fish, Anaheim pepper Relish, Avocado,
Corn tortillas, fresh lime & cilantro, side black beans, sour cream, house salsa, & corn chips
Slow cooked pork butt, soft corn tortillas, fresh lime & cilantro
w/ side of black beans, sour cream, house salsa, & corn chips
Wild caught Alaskan Sockeye Salmon, carrot ginger slaw, mango chili puree &
house teriyaki sauce, with greens tossed in sesame vinaigrette
Grilled pieces of Indian curry rubbed beef, tamarind glaze,
coconut curried veggies, basmati rice, raita, sweet pickled onions
Indian curried veggies, coconut milk, basmati rice, cilantro & mint raita, house pickles
Greens (local when available), artichoke relish, pesto, grilled zucchini, tomatoes, kalamata olives, provolone cheese, on grilled flat bread with side salad or potato chips
*GF- Gluten free* we cater to food allergies and restrictions, so please feel free to ask us any questions regarding your concerns...We offer a wide variety of non-alchoholic hot & cold beverages...
This little wagon has the best food with great use of spices and herbs! Of all the places we ate while visiting Alaska, this is the one we ALWAYS talk about. If you get out to visit the mine make sure to include a stop here!
There is no doubt this is the best meal you will enjoy in the Copper Valley. Kennecott and McCarthy, the food is great. From this food truck you will get a excellent meal! A graduate from the New York Culinary institute. The use of fresh herbs and ingredients grown, raised in the area can be tasted. The Meat Ball Hoagie is the best. The pork Taco amazing.
Owner/chef is very friendly and great cook with a good local reputation. The perfect place to eat after a glacier hike or tour of the Kennecot Mine. I can vouch for the salmon cakes, carnitas and meatball sandwich as all being excellent and hefty servings. Considering the remote location, the price was reasonable. A view of the Kennecot glacier and the Wrangell-St. Elias mountains was an added bonus in the covered outdoor seating. Yes it is a little spendy unless you consider the cost of doing business in a remote area (8 hours from resupplies) with no electricity and 2 month season. Then it looks pretty reasonable.
A graduate of The Culinary Institute of America & over 20 years of experience cooking throughout the United States & over seas. Chef Macchina is excited to present his passionate culinary vision to you. He is committed to making you smile one bite at a time by using fresh & quality ingredients. His original rustic style of cooking, Italia
A graduate of The Culinary Institute of America & over 20 years of experience cooking throughout the United States & over seas. Chef Macchina is excited to present his passionate culinary vision to you. He is committed to making you smile one bite at a time by using fresh & quality ingredients. His original rustic style of cooking, Italian heritage & attention to detail ensures that his food is simple yet delicious.
Yes, we cater private events & back country trips: weddings, business lunches, dinners, cocktail receptions, and more. Going into the back coutry & want to treat yourself to a gourmet meal? We would love to discuss how to be a part of your next event or adventure. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.
We refuse to compromise on the quality of food at The Meatza Wagon. That's why we source as many fresh ingredients from local greenhouses & gardens when in season. Also, because we are a "food truck" folks often think that we are a "fast food" place. No deep fryer in here! We pride ourselves on serving high quality food as fast as we can.
We refuse to compromise on the quality of food at The Meatza Wagon. That's why we source as many fresh ingredients from local greenhouses & gardens when in season. Also, because we are a "food truck" folks often think that we are a "fast food" place. No deep fryer in here! We pride ourselves on serving high quality food as fast as we can. So please sit back, relax, enjoy the view, and allow us the proper time to execute. An average wait time is somewhere between 10-15 minutes.
Location & Activities
· The Meatza Wagon is a Gourmet Food Truck located in the historic town of Kennicott, AK, which is located within Wrangell St. Elias National Park. (Largest National Park in N. America)
· Kennicott is a very remote town, 60 miles from pavement, local summer residents range from 200-250 people, & thousands of annual tourists.
· The remote nature of this location provides for a challenge in running a food truck as well as otherwise “normal” daily routine. You will need to be flexible and understanding when it comes to certain tasks & daily routine. Stay open minded and acceptant to these procedures.
· The Surrounding area provides an abundance of outdoor adventuring, activities, wildlife & a local community.
· Hiking, Pack Rafting, Back Packing, Ice Climbing, Glacier Hikes, Flight Sees, Fishing, Biking & Community Softball every Friday Night!
· There are 5 other restaurants in the area to go along with, 2 hotels, hostel, camp grounds, guide services & flight services, a small grocery store and 2 bars
· Live music venues also pass through the valley
Food & Chef
· Even though The Meatza Wagon is a Food Truck, The food is “gourmet casual”. PRIDE & attention to detail must be taken in all preparations.
· All food preparations are made from scratch on a daily basis to ensure that the guest receives the BEST possible quality of food. Nothing pre-packaged. An accent to an already amazing vacation. “Real Food!”
· Most of all the herbs and vegetables used in food prep, are locally grown. The Meatza Wagon also has a small garden of its own that you will assist in tending.
· Chef/Owner Joe Macchina is a classically trained chef who grew up with a culinary background and takes great pride & satisfaction in his work. CIA graduate, Culinary Professor at UAF (University of Fairbanks Alaska) & 15+ years of running commercial kitchens.
· The work setting is casual, very fun, relaxed and rewarding. However busy and full of daily tasks.
· You will be provided with- Housing (very basic “dry cabin”) away from town, bicycle for transportation, 2 meals per working shift, locals shuttle pass
· “dry cabin” includes- 2 burner propane cook top, propane light, futon, outhouse, access to a well for water (drinking, utility)
· Provided will also be access to a laundry and shower
The Kennicott/McCarthy Area is an extremely fun and adventurous place. It is very wild & remote so it is not for everyone. People come here from all walks of life & from every corner of the world. This makes for a diverse landscape of people, opportunities & scene. It is advantageous if one is open to learning and can “go with the flow”. This area ends up being one of the greatest places some people have ever come to and they come back year after year after year. Some never leave & some never return. If this sounds like your cup of tea…?...You can contact me directly with a resume & any questions.
The Meatza Wagon
My boyfriend and I ate there on our trip to Kennicott last week. It was one of the BEST meals I've had in my entire life. The meatball sub was incredible, the pasta salad was light, fresh, and delicious (and I usually hate pasta salad), and my boyfriend couldn't stop raving about the pork carnitas. I was so impressed! Thanks for the amazing food- it was a wonderful addition to our trip!
The Meatza Wagon food made us come back again and again during our month's stay in McCarthy. The meatball sandwich is insane. And you will like the laidback owner who remembers your name after one visit. Feels good, tastes good!
Stayed 2 nights at Kennicott Glacier Lodge but ate all of my meals here!! This is hands down the best food around, I'd go out of my way to eat here if it were in Anchorage!
You can tell the owner/cook has a real passion for cooking, beautiful presentation, fantastic fresh ingredients, time and attention to in each dish. Do yourself a favor and if you are one of the lucky few to visit McCarthy/Kennicott, stop on by The Meatza Wagon, you'll be glad you did!
11:00am - 7:00pm
June 8th - Labor Day
Lot 9 Upper Mill Rd, Kennicott
*Down the stairs next to the School House*
The Meatza Wagon
Po Box MXY-81A
Want a Job?
Send us a Resume